Sunday, February 5, 2012

Blog Assignment 2

Did you know? 3.0 – A John Strange 2012 Version

When starting this blog, I had never heard of the “Did you know 3.0” by Karl Fisch and Scott Mcleod. After watching that video, I wanted to watch Dr. Strange’s version since that original presented many interesting facts. Both of these videos contained numerous statistics that were fascinating. A few of these statistics include:

  • “By 2012 the number of English speaking Chinese is likely to exceed the number of native English speakers in the rest of the world” (Gordon Brown, 2005).
  • 1,393,519 Google searches are made every minute.
  • 25% of the population of India with the highest IQs outnumbers the entire population of the United  States.
  • 11,453,577 SMS messages are sent worldwide each minute.
  • 2 years ago, 85% of students ages 15-18 had cellphones.
  • The top 10 jobs years from now do not yet exist.
Although there were many other statistics, such as the number of Youtube videos uploaded and watched, owners of computers, and statistics about other countries, like India, these figures caught me by surprise. I know I use Google for anything and everything.  If I have a question, Google is the first place that I search for an answer. What I did not realize is how many searches there were per minute. Furthermore, text messaging has come a long way; numerous people, including myself, would rather text message a conversation than pick up the phone and actually talk. Finally, the future technologies and jobs statistics are almost frightening. Being an educator includes not only teaching, but also keeping up with new advances in technology. Although I am computer literate now, my future students may be much more computer literate than me. Also, educators must be aware that they are teaching students for jobs that might not exist yet! This is mind blowing. I found both of these videos extremely interesting!

Mr. Winkle Wakes:


After sleeping for 100 years, Mr. Winkle awakes to find that the world around him has completely changed. He goes to an office where he finds computers, telephones, printers, and fax machines, all things that he has never seen before. Mr. Winkle finds this “large building” a stressful environment and goes out into his new world. Feeling sick from the new scenery, he goes to the hospital for some comfort; but once inside the hospital, he finds new machines as well, including X-rays and computers. He ventures out again, trying to find a place that has not changed in 100 years and discovers his niche inside a school. Although the school has a computer, it is old and dusty. Mr. Winkle is content in the school, as it has not changed in 100 years.

This video holds truth, in that, when we students go out in our world today, we see new advances in technologies that we have never before seen. As stated in the previous video, information about technologies learned 3 years ago is no longer adequate for today.  The educator should not only teach, but also prepare the students for jobs and technologies that are not yet available. This video is strikingly true in that schools, K-4 through college, are so far behind in technology that after graduating high school or college, students are not prepared for the technologies of the working world.

Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity:

be creative

Sir Ken Robinson is an extremely entertaining speaker.  He not only tells funny stories, but he also cracks small jokes, keeping the audience interested. “The Importance of Creativity” speech referenced how current schools are destroying the creativity of children. Robinson defines creativity as “the process of having original ideas that have value” and he also believes that “creativity… is as important in education as literacy and we should treat it as the same status” (Robinson 2006). I agree with this argument, but I also believe that some children are more creative than others. For example, my stepsisters think differently than I do; although we are all “creative”, we are creative in different ways. All students need to learn the basic subjects of mathematics, science, and humanities, but students who want to dance or play music should be allowed. In reference to my sisters, two have art degrees, but neither one can find a job with these degrees because our world’s view of creativity has changed and the world no longer views “the arts” as a profession. Children’s creativeness should not be extinguished just because our world does not consider creativity a necessity. Creativity produces individuality.

Another current issue that disturbs me is the subject of ADD and ADHD. Some believe that these disorders are genetic, while others believe they are behavioral problems resulting from poor parenting. I do not completely agree with either one of these ideas. Every child has a different personality, some more “laid back” and calm than others.  Testing once, immediately diagnosing and medicating a child for one of these disorders does not seem right. These medications can completely change a child’s thought processes and actions. Robinson associated ADHD with “people who have to move to think”. Being an individual means to be original. Not every child is the same, so by medicating them, doctors are forcing them to be “like” other people, taking their originality away.  The ADD or ADHD child is habitually viewed as a “problem child”, further diminishing their opportunity to be an original.

A Vision for 21st Century Learning:

The main argument presented in “A Vision for 21st Century Learning” is that schools need to become more technologically advanced to prepare kids for the future. Technological advances will allow children to learn more facts visually from computer screens as opposed to reading a textbook and listening to an educator lecture. By making educational programs fun, like a video game, children will have the drive or motivation to learn.

I think this is a great idea. Instead of having children play a computer game or video game full of useless knowledge, children can play and learn at the same time. By making these programs as graphic as a game, even in 3D, children will forget they are learning because they are having fun. Parents would not have to force their children to do homework because learning would be fun.

Vickie Davis: Harness Your Students’ Digital Smarts:

Vickie Davis makes a great point in her "Harness You Students’ Digital Smarts" video. She stated, “only certain types of students succeed with pencil and paper” (Davis). I could not agree with her more. Every student learns in different ways; students can be visual, auditory, or kinesthetic learners. By making all students learn the same way, we are limiting their education. Only some students will be successful with pencil and paper, others must find alternative ways to learn.

Davis uses a different type of teaching for her students. Like our EDM310 class, Davis’ class is based on mentoring her students and they “teach” themselves. By doing this, the students have the freedom to learn in their own style. Davis uses different programs, such as Virtual Learning Sim and Wiki, for her students to collaborate.  By having the classroom set up in this fashion, even students from rural South Georgia learn to use advanced technologies and communicate with other students and teachers around the world. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Abigail like you and millions of others, I use Google search on a regular basis. I work at an aircraft repair station and purchase aircraft parts. Sometimes we come across a few hard to find parts. Before we can tell our customer the part can't be found, we were instructed to Google it. I will admit that when we were told to do this we all had attitudes about doing it. Now we do it on a regular basis since it has been a little helpful. However the statistics about text messaging didn't surprise me. I have a teenage daughter and she texts all the time. My cell phone provider told me not to ever take texting off her line. I do think texting is convenient, when you’re not able to talk, but when you can talk isn't it easier and faster? I will agree that the statistics of our future jobs and technology is frightening. If some of the top jobs of 2022 don't exist yet how will teachers be affected in the classroom? What do you think will be the outcome for teachers?

    I had the opportunity of watching Sir Robinson's video last semester. He did share a lot of good points of children being creative. I think part of the problem is that children are not being allowed to be creative in their own way. Schools have so many standards that have to be met, that the students are forced to use other people’s ideas instead of their own. I do understand Sir Robinson’s point of view about children who are ADD and ADHD. My son is ADHD and as a parent I tried to do everything that was suggested to me, to keep him off medication. Of course I changed his diet, that didn’t change anything at all. The biggest problem for me was getting some of his teachers to work with me. I had asked, if he could be given extra work, I had asked if he could move on to the next lesson. To no avail none of these were done. I sent extra reading books so he could his books and stay out of trouble. That didn’t last very long because he was bored again. I will not say that all doctors approve of putting children on medication. His regular pediatrician didn’t want to at all. She said that some teachers want the 4 and 5 year olds to sit in a class like they were 8 and 9. She even suggested that I pull him out of K4 and send him back to daycare; she thought he wasn’t ready yet. He made it through kindergarten without medication but it was hard. At the start of 1st grade I knew he would need medication. I do worry about the side effects of the medication but it has eased my worries about him not getting his education. I must admit I was worried if the school was going to label him as a “problem child” because he is ADHD. This has not been the case since he has been medicated. He still remains an A/B Honor roll student. Sir Robinson said he associates ADHD as “people who have to move to think.” This one was a little hard for me and I needed Sir Robinson to clarify this a little more for me. My son does move around a lot when he is not medicated but I’m not really convinced that he thinks about what he is doing which is another reason he was put on medication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Abigail, just wanted to let you know that your blog was great. Your information was presented very well. I liked that you added the links within your blogs,this quickly directs others to that page. I also liked the extra pictures that you included in your blog. Job well done Abigail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to use Google for every question I have, too! EDM opened my eyes to how many more ways to use Google than just the search box!

    ReplyDelete